Nature’s Laws OR Human Justice
7 May 2021 | Emotional intelligence, Leadership, Mindfulness, Personal Development, Self Help, Self-Mastery, Wellbeing
LEADERSHIP: NATURE OR NURTURE?
"Are you born a leader, or can you learn to be a leader?"
A common LEADERSHIP question!
WHAT IS LEADERSHIP?
Leadership is the ability to influence individuals around you while nurturing them and empowering them to appreciate the value of their life first. It is only with continuous growth and evolution that it becomes a natural trait. Self-leadership is a prerequisite for success. If not acquired, a leader will struggle at every step of the journey.
HOW IS LEADERSHIP ACQUIRED?
The surrounding environment of the first years of life plays a crucial role in forming the character. An environment that encourages independence, confidence, recognition, and trust is proper to develop leadership skills.
When parents tend to be overprotective, controlling, and judgemental, a person will tend to develop low self-esteem, dependency, self-doubt, and inability to trust.
However, at a later stage in life, each person can unlearn particular behavior and replace it with habits that serve their goal of becoming a leader.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT STYLES OF LEADERSHIP?
There are two main styles of Leadership:
- Leadership by the position is the style that relies on power, control, and manipulation to achieve a change, though temporary.
- Leadership by influence depends on culture and values and ensures a sustainable impact over time.
We all agree that the best way to achieve results within a team or a community is to lead by example.
A person who relies on intimidation to lead will face a lack of loyalty, increased turnovers, and low productivity levels. The team's attitude will reflect the leader's hidden feelings, usually initiating from the inside.
A person who relies on the strength of character and compassion will have no fear to face. They will build a team that values loyalty, trust, and dedication. Team spirit is the dominating culture of this type of environment.
CAN SOMEONE MOVE FROM A LEADERSHIP BY POSITION TO A LEADERSHIP BY INFLUENCE?
The early conditioning of a person has a substantial impact on the leadership styles. Nevertheless, this state is not a fate. You are not a victim of this conditioning. Once you become aware of this reality, you own the choice to move from one end to another.
"It is not a one-day task; it is a daily process of upgrading your life."
HOW CAN YOU BE A SUCCESSFUL LEADER?
The current operating program of any individual is the product of years of repetition, as mentioned earlier. It became part of their nature. To acquire new skills, you must unlearn certain behaviors and upload better ones that serve the person you want to become.
We are all aware that breaking a habit is not an easy task. However, if we become acquainted with the root causes and triggers, we will move one step forward towards the desired outcome:
- Awareness: A process of introspection will lead us to become aware of our current state of mind. At this stage, you do not have to change anything. You are only requested to observe what is going on in your life.
- Mindfulness: When on autopilot, you do not have the time to dream and visualize the person you wish to be. You are most of the time stuck in attending to urgent matters coming your way. At this stage, you learn how to declutter your minds to give space for new creative ideas and opportunities. Living the moment is the first step towards a life of peace.
- Destination: A new level of clarity emerges, and a glance of the desired goal will surface and end up serving as a compass. Distractions will no longer have an impact because we know the place we wish to be.
- Sharpen the saw: No system in the world can operate without occasional stops for tweaking and maintenance. Our bodies are the vehicle that will drive us to achieve our dreams. If we do not provide it with adequate care, Burnout will be the result in no time. Investing time daily in our mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual wellbeing is primordial for achieving sustainable success.
- Discipline: It is the process of planning, scheduling, and committing to becoming a better version of yourself. It is only with perseverance that you can unlock your untapped potential. This step might include going against embedded habits. (this will be the topic of my next blog).
The sum of all of the above will move you into a new level of Emotional stability that is the main trait of an influential leader. It is the ability to stop, reflect and assess before reacting to any stimuli that could push you to consequence with irreversible effects.
WHY SHOULD SELF-LEADERSHIP PRECEDE PEOPLE'S LEADERSHIP?
To lead others, you must be in harmony inside out. You can not pretend to be someone you wish to be. Your results will always reflect who you are. Working on your self-leadership will allow you to reap the following:
- Work/Life Balance
- Leading in peace and with clarity
- Control of the steering wheel of life
- Improved organizational and planning Skills
- Foreseeing challenges ahead of time
- Earning respect
- A Loyal and dedicated team
- Taking responsibility
Once you have achieved this level, you will influence your team to follow your path.
"Walking the talk" should be the guiding principle of all leaders out there because it is the blueprint of the leader's success, usually translated into the team's performance as a whole.
Copyright © 2022 Dima Istambouli - All Rights Reserved